Thursday, February 25, 2010

Classic Kitchen Catastrophe

I didn't cook last night (instead got a cute haircut!), so I thought I could share a cooking disaster that happened earlier, as well as a yummy recipe (or 2).

For my dad's 59th birthday, I agreed to bring dessert. I was still getting some of my cooking bearings, but I've always been best at baking, especially pies, which take the least finesse, I find. I had made a delicious pecan pie for a party earlier in the year, and figured I'd just make it again. You can find the recipe online at epicurious here:
Mocha Pecan Pie with Coffee Whipped Cream

I'm going to back up a little. For Christmas, we had gone to visit my brother and sister in law, and she made for us "Egg Specials". These are super easy.

Ingredients:
Egg Substitute
Pre-Sliced Cheddar
Spinach
English Muffins

Directions:
Scramble egg substitute and spinach (to taste) with salt and pepper until egg is done. Pop cooked egg on top of english muffin in toaster oven with a slice of cheese on top until cheese is melt-y. ENJOY!

I had decided that it sounded like a yummy weekend breakfast (with a non-stick pan, there's no added milk or butter/oil) that was still not too bad for you so had bought some egg substitute. Which brings me back to the pie. Heck, it's egg SUBSTITUTE, why not substitute it for the eggs?

Well, it didn't mix well with the cocoa powder, that's why. So I had to beat it into submission, and it was still mostly yellow with brown chunks. And then I cooked it. Apparently, either the beating or the actual egg substitute itself caused it all to rise about an inch above the rim of the pie plate. It also was mostly yellow with a brown crust on top.

So, went to our local bakery and picked out mini deserts!!

Lesson 1: Always have a backup plan
Lesson 2: Just because it says "substitute" doesn't mean you can just use it willy nilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pecan Pie on the Rise

Pecan Pie on the Rise
Who's to blame? Egg substitute, or me?