Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Unripe Avocado Success!

I was working from home today, so planned a yummy lunch of an ALT (Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich. Alas, after I had sliced the tomatoes, I started in on the avocado and found that it was HARD! It would never mash into a yummy spread. It did seem edible, though, although it tasted more vegetabl-y (like eating leaves and grass) than I was prepared for.

I'm trying to be more flexible with my cooking, so I just started improvising, and the result was awesome. First, I sautéed the tomatoes while adding salt, garlic powder, pepper and dried thyme. If I had more energy, I probably would have put in fresh garlic and thyme, but such is life. Meanwhile, I cut the avocado into rough 1/2- to 1-inch chunks. I added them to the skillet briefly to let them soften a little, and get a little brown. Heck, if I'm eating unripe avocado, I might as well cook it and break all the rules, right? In the end, I used it on my nutty wheat bread and added a little sprinkle of cheese and zapped it enough to melt the cheese (would have been better if I had broken out the broiler...).

And the Verdict - It was great! It tasted vaguely Italian, like a quick vegetable Parmesan or something. The nutty bread really worked out well. Next time, I might use a whole tomato, but hopefully it won't happen again! - I'll post pictures soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pecan Pie on the Rise

Pecan Pie on the Rise
Who's to blame? Egg substitute, or me?